Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Full Moon in the Fasting Moon

As I was driving home from work on Monday night I saw the moon. Whoa - did I see the moon! I was coming across the Morrison bridge and ahead of me I saw a gigantic yellow reflection in the windows of a tall building downtown. I had to work very hard not to cause a traffic accident by turning around in my seat to see the moon as it came up across town. As I drove along the waterfront I got a good look at her - huge, yellow, illuminating some wispy clouds. It was one of the more spectacular moon sightings I have seen in a while.


Photo by JoeCollver. This was taken a couple years ago, but on Monday night I was on the bridge in this photo, heading towards downtown. Amazing scene, amazing photo.
As the moon waxed over these last weeks I have continued my fasting moon work. It's been a bit easier because Dave is in Thailand for two weeks. It's easier to stay away from someone who's thousands of miles away. It is, unfortunately, also easier to remember only the good parts of a relationship when that person is thousands of miles away. I guess sometimes when you fast you find yourself just wanting the thing you are abstaining from that much more.
The sighting of the moon helped me focus again on the idea of opening myself up to experiences that are allowed to come into the vacuum created by "fasting". I take emense pleasure from exploring the natural world, learning new things and celebrating the turnings of both the suns' Wheel of the Year and the moon's disk as it waxes and wanes. Lately, I've not be pursuing these activities because I've been busy with other, domestic and partnered activities. There's nothing wrong with that, but a change of pace is often a pleasant suprise.
The Fasting Moon this year is also the first month of the Chinese year which falls on the second new moon after the winter solstice. This year is the year of the Ox in the Chinese calendar and is a year of new beginnings and building to last. This sounds pretty applicable to my situation, doesn't it? One amazing photographer on Flickr writes:

I seek to serve integrity,
To bear the burdens of righteousness.
I abide by the laws of nature-
Patiently pushing the wheel of Fate.
Thus, I shall weave my destiny.
I am the Ox.
This photo by Sara Heinrichs

No comments: